Monday, August 20, 2018

An Open Letter to the Worst Entertainment Critic On the Planet


To: Chris Nashawaty
Entertainment Weekly magazine

Sir,

My blood pressure goes up every time I read one of your articles. That was negligible when I was in my 40s, but now I’m at the age where people take pills for that.

This isn’t about disagreeing with your reviews; everybody has those moments with critics. Ken Tucker, who used to head up your magazine’s TV coverage, hates both The Brady Bunch and Lou Grant, two of my favorite television classics.



That’s fine – I respect people with different opinions if they are intelligently expressed. He watched them and didn’t like them. It happens. I think we’d have some interesting discussions.

Here’s how you are different from Tucker – you write about subjects and assess their artistic merits without having experienced them.

How do I know this – well, let’s go back to the first time I noticed your byline about 10 years ago, as I was paging through the then-current issue of EW while waiting in line at the post office. The topic of the piece was your assertion that no comedy was still funny if it was shot in black and white.

Think of that: in one sweeping generalization you summarily dismissed the entire works of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, The Three Stooges and The Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy and the Thin Man movies, His Girl Friday and Some Like It Hot.

And on television, which is close to our hearts around here, you condemned Sid Caesar and Ernie Kovacs, I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, the first two seasons of Bewitched, The Addams Family and The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet; The Honeymooners and The Phil Silvers Show



Apparently, you decided that any film or television show made before a certain date is no longer relevant or worth your time. In this blog, which focuses exclusively on the television from generations past, you can understand how that touches a nerve. 

Wrong Finger, Thing

It also calls into question your credentials as a critic of anything, since one quality essential to that profession is knowledge that surpasses that of your readers. If someone is going to be paid to review Broadway musicals, he or she has to know not just Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen, but also Show Boat and Carousel, and to be really conversant On Your Toes and Lady In the Dark.

Television is the same. You don’t have to prefer old stuff to new stuff, or have the same affection for it shared by those who grew up with these shows. But you need to be aware of them, and have some first-hand experience of them, and understand their importance and their influence on everything that followed. 



When you wrote that piece you lacked that perspective. I’m guessing you were in your 20s, when a lot of writers (myself included) first started getting published, and thought we knew a lot more than we did.

Here’s the good news: If you live to be 100, you’ll never write anything that dumb again. So at least you got it out of your system early.

I had hoped your judgment had evolved in the interim, but that brings me to the reason for this letter: your recent review of Mission Impossible: Fallout confirmed you’re still up to your old tricks.

This was the line that had me asking my doctor about a Beta-blocker prescription:

“Twenty-two years after (Tom) Cruise first rebooted the hokey TV espionage series…”

“hokey”?

You could have written “classic” or “popular,” or excised the adjective altogether, but instead you chose “hokey”?

See, that’s something Ken Tucker would never have done. I don’t know if he liked Mission: Impossible but he wouldn’t call it hokey, because good writers know what words mean before they use them. 

What a Hokey Bunch


The Oxford Dictionary defines “hokey” as “mawkishly sentimental.” You would be hard-pressed to find a trace of sentimentality in any of Mission: Impossible’s 171 episodes. The agents of the IM Force carried out their missions with a cold and clinical professionalism, detached from friends, family or any emotional ties. Sure, you saw concern when Cinnamon was captured in “The Exchange,” but the mission still took precedence even as rescue options were considered.

If you thought that description was appropriate, I can only conclude that you’ve never actually watched the show. Or did you just need an insult, and that was the word that popped into your head? What’s the difference, as long as the point was made that Tom Cruise took some silly old TV show and turned it into something worth watching. How fortunate we are that today’s creative geniuses in Hollywood are able to create such masterpieces from such feeble, passé source material.

Where does this hostility toward the past come from? Please tell me you’re not in that group that shuns yesterday’s pop culture because it wasn’t as inclusive and enlightened (some say) as it is now. Is that it? Will you never watch Eight is Enough because there were eight kids and not one of them was gay or adopted from Guatemala? I know those are the only kinds of folks EW is hiring these days, which is why the magazine has devolved into The Huffington Post with an occasional piece on Carly Rae Jepsen. 

#Bradfordssowhite

In the end I guess it doesn’t matter. You’ll keep writing, and for some reason I’ll keep reading and suffering the potential health risks of doing so. I look forward to your take on the next Star Trek film, when you’ll no doubt celebrate how this stodgy old franchise finally ditched all that talk about ethics and morals, and replaced them with explosions and motorcycle chases. Nothing hokey about that.

12 comments:

  1. Where do I sign my name? That's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! EW used to be the best, couldn't wait for it to arrive in my mailbox. It has now devolved into an unreadable mess. I let my subscription lapse about four years ago, and never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what Chris Nashawaty has to say about the original "Hawaii Five-O" series. I wonder what Mr. Nashawaty has to say about the crime shows Quinn Martin produced during the 1960s and '70s. Imagine what Mr. Nashawaty would have to say about the '70s TV shows produced by critical whipping boy Aaron Spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's politics behind this, David: by backdating and eliminating from critical evaluation everything before a certain date, all the liberal qualms about racism, sexism, white privilege, and all the other bullshit "isms" that routinely fire today's pop culture writing, have been satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is ironic since Mission: Impossible itself was very progressive and diverse.

      Delete
    2. I don't think politics necessarily has anything to do with it. Cultural bias based on ignorance of what came before can afflict liberals and conservatives equally. People all too frequently think everything before their era was stone knives and bear skins. Sometimes the fault is with the individual, sometimes it's because he or she simply grew up without and now lives in a world without any thoughtful exposure to the past. I do think that from the 90s on there has been a shift toward a collective ignorance of both popular and artistic achievements of prior generations. This seems especially acute among critics, particularly younger ones writing in the mainstream but there are exceptions. I recently read a New York Times review by a young African-American of Netflix's "Lost In Space" remake who referred to the original series as a "classic". The Film Rejects website also features a lot of thoughtful reviews of old films, actors and directors written by students. Personally, I have met more than a few young progressives who love "Leave It To Beaver" and "The Donna Reed Show" as well as John Wayne movies so there's hope. I think the problems with Entertainment Weekly reflect a managerial/editorial presumption that their readers all think modern culture began with Josh Whedon. I quit reading it decades ago and would recommend anyone else who finds the current incarnation wanting do likewise.

      Delete
    3. Oops. I meant Joss Whedon. Typo.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant article! And, 100% on-the-spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take David, and I agree completely with Jimmy's reply. Also, the first couple of years of Mission Impossible with Barbara Bain and Martin Landau is fantastic entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was recently reading a book Ken Tucker wrote and it was full of factual errors which annoyed the heck out of me. I can't remember the last one I caught but it was really blatant, like "saying the characters were from the wrong show" level bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall that Ken Tucker book for its multitudinous mistakes, not least of them his frequent descriptions of still-living persons as "the late …" so-and-so.
      For years afterward, I thought of Mr. Tucker as TV's own Grim Reaper.


      Actually, I think I still have my copy of Mr. Tucker's book, although I haven't looked at it lately.
      Now I'm wondering how many of his premature obits have come to pass in the years since its 2005 publication …

      Delete
  8. I've read about (but not seen) the Cruise MI movies. I thought they were a stupid idea since I saw a clip from the trailer where Cruise's character flies through the air & lands on a commuter train. Then I read that the movie franchise had to turn Jim Phelps into a bad guy in order to separate itself from the original series. Sherwood & Lloyd Schwartz addressed on ab early draft script of "The Brady Bunch Movie" which would have trashed the Brady characters and shown them complete disrespect. Fortunately Paramount was smart enough to keep the movie from trashing the show's memory and got a couple good movies out of it.

    ReplyDelete