Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Why Didn’t "Please Don’t Eat the Daisies" Work?

 

A few months ago I decided I had waited long enough for some TV shows to be released on DVD. Life is too short and with certain short-lived series, the likelihood of an official release seems more unlikely with each passing year. It was time to seek other sources. My first acquisition was Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, which debuted in 1965 and lasted two seasons. 

 


 

My hopes were high because I’ve always liked Pat Crowley, whether she was breaking Little Joe’s heart on Bonanza or seducing Bosley on Charlie’s Angels. Plus, the source material (a novel by Jean Kerr) had already been adapted into a delightful movie starring Doris Day and David Niven.

 

I expected more of the same – smart, witty comedy about the adventures of Jim and Joan Nash (Mark Miller and Pat Crowley) who pack up their sons and sheepdog and relocate from a chic Manhattan apartment to a ramshackle country estate. But something was sadly lost in the translation. 

 


 

Start with this: you can’t have a family situation comedy when the dog has more personality than the four Nash boys – Kyle (Kim Tyler), Joel (Brian Nash) and twins Trevor and Tracey (Jeff and Joe Fithian).

 

From Beaver Cleaver to Alex P. Keaton, the children in TV families must be developed as real characters with personalities that impact how stories unfold. But the Nash boys are non-entities.

 

Granted, that was true in the movie as well – the boys were either rambunctious or rotten depending on your general view of kids, and seemed to exist only to cause trouble. But that won’t suffice on a weekly series – nor would the banter of their exasperated parents. David Niven’s reflections on how elementary school only exists to give adults a break from their children was a sentiment you’d never hear Jim Anderson or Mike Brady express. And Doris Day’s reaction to a commotion in the next room – “If they broke any important bones, they’ll yell” – is something Donna Stone wouldn’t dream of saying. 

 


 

Once Roseanne and the Bundys hit TV, those rules changed. But in 1965 parents couldn’t trade such bon mots over martinis like Nick and Nora Charles. The Nashes had to be domesticated.

 

And this was not the only change from the film. Jim Nash was no longer a feared New York theater critic, which had him crossing paths with eccentric actresses and angry producers and cab drivers who wanted him to read their plays. Instead, he teaches theater at a small college. Joan is a writer, which makes sense as Jean Kerr based this story on her own family. 

 


 

They didn’t go there in the movie but it was a good idea for the series – or at least it would have been had that actually committed to it. But not enough scripts revolve around her getting a story published, or working to write one.

 

Crowley and Miller are both likable and are believable as a married couple. But I rarely found it interesting to follow them into the same sitcom plots I enjoyed on other shows. What was missing? Why did my mind keep wandering to how, if you closed your eyes, Miller sounds exactly like Carl Betz on The Donna Reed Show, and when Crowley tries to inject some life into a tired punch line, her voice goes up an octave and she sounds like Eve Arden?

 

The most obvious culprit is the writing, which is surprising since scripts were submitted by such prominent and respected folks as Paul West, Lee Erwin, Austin and Irma Kalish, Bill Freedman and Ben Gershman.

 

Take Jack Raymond’s “The Holdouts”, which should have been a standout episode. The kids realize that Mom is selling stories to magazines based on the cute and funny stuff they do around the house, and decide they should get a share of the profits. That was a great idea that was tailored for the specific attributes of this TV family – but the standoff is not well developed and the resolution falls flat.

 

There were a few bright spots along the way. Burgess Meredith guest stars as a Shakespeare-quoting hobo in “The Magnificent Muldoon,” written by Mark Miller. And there’s an out-of-left-field crossover with The Man From UNCLE (“Say UNCLE”) featuring appearances from Robert Vaughn and David McCallum. Once in a while in an otherwise mundane episode there will be a smart dialogue exchange that reveals the potential that was here and went undeveloped.

 

More than anything else, watching all 58 episodes of Please Don’t Eat the Daisies served as a reminder of how we shouldn’t take the classic shows from the Comfort TV era for granted. Creating a series that can still entertain audiences 50 or 60 years later doesn’t happen easily. Even when you combine blue-chip source material with talented actors and talented writers and directors, success is not a sure thing. There is another component that must also be present but is harder to define, and that either happens almost as if by magic, or it doesn’t. Your mileage may vary, but for me it just didn’t happen here. 

 


 

 

13 comments:

  1. If certain short-lived TV series from the Comfort TV era can't get legitimate home-video releases on physical media, why can't they released to a transactional-video-on-demand outlet such as Vudu, Amazon's Prime Video, or the iTunes Store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisies is the oldest series with every main cast member still living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was going to make this point myself. Mark Miller turned 96 last fall and as far as I know is still doing ok.

      I saw the movie (or at least a good part of it) years ago, probably on TCM. I didn't care much for it, and I thought the title theme song was terrible, especially w/ the kiddies joining in. I'm glad the sitcom didn't use it, and I like the theme song used for tv.

      This show was still popular enough to be rerun for awhile weekday afternoons on 1 of my local network affiliates in the late 1970s, so it apparently had something that people wanted to see, at least at the time.

      Delete
  3. Well...except for maybe Lord Nelson who played Ladadog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. “If they broke any important bones, they’ll yell.”
    That's a Nineties Sitcom Mom line right there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write-up.

    When I think of a series that I thought seemed awesome back in the day that turned out to be terrible for me decades later, I immediately go to "Lotsa' Luck".

    I love Dom DeLuise. (And, notably, I think that "Fatso" is one of the most underappreciated movies of my lifetime. It was given an unfortunate title that makes it rude to even mention today...but I digress.) However, "Lotsa' Luck" is awful. I just can't figure out if I thought it was funny back then just because I was a kid, or it really is a true case of humor not aging well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To each his own. I thought "Lotsa Luck" was great back in 1974, and now I still think it`s very funny.
    My candidate in this catagory would be "The Carol Burnett Show". I watch it now and and see very little humor in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, Kim Tyler, who played eldest son Kyle, died February 10th of this year. He was 66 years old and died of cancer, according to his wife Michelle. RIP, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had only vague recollections of Please Don't Eat the Daisies until discovering (or, barely, rediscovering it) on YouTubes yesterday. As happens in this internet era, the buried little embers of memories are coming back. The big dog, the intriguing title, but most of all the soothing yet authoritative fathering style of Mark Miller's character. He's the father I wish I had; perhaps he is for everyone.
    And all these years (I was 7 when the series began), his vocal and emotional style of firmness with that gentle trail-off has been inspiring me all along. Interesting thing, the sub-conscious memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this show and can never find it on DVD so my wife can watch it with me :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me at Davehof@cox.net - I may be able to help with that.

      Delete
  10. Please don't Eat the Daisies was my FAVORITE. WHY is it unavailable???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been searching for what seems like years for a DVD release of this TV series that I loved as a kid. I wish it were available.

      Delete